My third grade class presented a "Historical Hero Living Museum." Each child had to research one historical hero and come to life. Brooks chose Ted Williams, turns out they both have several things in common :)
Hi, my name is Theodore Samuel Williams, most people know me as Ted Williams or “The Splendid Splinter.” I was born in San Diego, California on August 30, 1918. When I was in high school I got two offers to play baseball for the Yankees and Giants in the major leagues. My mom said I was too young to leave the house so I signed with the local minor league team, the San Diego Padres. I caught the eye of Bill Lane and became a member of the Boston Redsox in December 1937.I am just as well known for serving my country as I am for being a star MLB baseball player. I served as a Navy pilot in WWII and a Marine combat pilot in the Korean War. During my 19 years playing left-field with the Sox, I earned six batting titles, was the league’s home run and RBI champ four times, captured the Triple Crown twice, and was a 17 time All-Star. In 1941, I finished the season with a .406 batting average, being the last and oldest player ever to top the 400 mark and lead the league in batting. I was the best hitter the game had ever seen.
I hung up my cleats for good in September 1960 after hitting a home run into Fenway Park’s bleacher seats in my final at bat. I died of a stroke in July 2002.
Here are some fun facts:
-I was a left fielder
-I threw right and hit left
-I wore #9
-I am in the Hall of Fame


No comments:
Post a Comment